The first thought that comes to mind when you are about to travel to a different country is updated transportation rates from the airport, airlines, facilities and more. So check the country rates, for Quito airport taxis and other transportation options.
These are some of the straightforward questions that I asked myself, once I was about to step for the first time in the refreshing Andes of South America and explore Ecuador
- Book a Quito Airport Transfer
- Where and how far is the Quito airport located from the city of Quito?
- How long will it take to go from Quito airport to downtown Quito?.
- What is the price for a taxi from Quito airport to hotels in Quito?.
- How much is a taxi from Quito airport to the city?
- What are other transportation options from Quito Airport to city?
- Do hotels have shuttle buses?
- Is there a way to take a day tour from the Quito Airport?
- What are some facilities at Quito airport?
- What are the closest hotels to Quito’s airport?
After some research I came up with this shortlist of useful information:
Quito Airport to city Location and Distance
Quito has a new airport located 22 miles east of Quito in the valley of Tumbaco at an elevation of 2400m or 7800ft.
How old is the Quito Airport?
The Quito airport opened it´s doors for local and international travelers since February 2013. The daily number of travelers, on average is approximate 20500 travelers.
In general terms, about transportation from the Quito Airport to the city or to other parts of Ecuador. There are several options according to your budget and time of arrival.
Quito Airport to city transportation options
Quito Airport Taxi
The first and easiest way is to to get from Quito airport to the city is to book a taxi that will meet and greet you at the arriving gate. Whether your flight is delayed or on time it will be tracked and a driver will be waiting for you, holding a sign with your name ready to help with your bags and drive you to your destination.
How long will it take to go from Quito airport to the city?
The riding time from the moment you are picked up from your gate is 40 minutes to most parts of the Quito metropolitan area, on rush hours it can take 1.5 hours to get to your accommodation in Quito
How much is a taxi from Quito Airport to the city?
Quito Airport to Quito, Taxi rate is between $25 and $35 (dollars) depending on the time, distance, and type of service if in doubt you may Quote a ride!
The cost to nearby accommodation (about 6 to 10 miles) can go from $8 to $15
Quito Airport to city, by Bus
Time by bus
It will take about 15 minutes longer than a taxi, so in total 55 minutes to the Old Airport (located in the city towards the north area), from there you will most likely, have to take a taxi to your accommodation. Which adding both times up will be more or less 1h15 min to get to your destination.
Cost by bus
The cost range is between $2 (green bus) and $12 white and red bus (AERO Servicio) depending on the bus that you take, buses working schedule is from 4 am to 11 pm. Therefore if you arrive before or later than this time frame, you will most likely have to call for a taxi.
Distance from the airport to Downtown Quito (La Mariscal Area) is about 22 miles.
Hotel Shuttle Bus
Hotel Shuttle buses are not available for every hotel. You will have to get in touch with the hotel in order to make sure if they are providing this service or not.
Normally Hotels located in downtown Quito, will charge an additional cost for a meet and greet service, with a higher fee than regular transportation services. The closest hotel (3 min) from Quito Airport. Which provides a free shuttle bus service, from the airport is the Wyndham and recently open Eurobuilding Hotel
Half Day Tours Quito Airport
Are you about to experience a long boring layover at Quito airport?
Here is a good idea to use your time wisely.
Take a look at some options for tours in the surrounding areas of the Quito Airport!
- Go for a half-day guided escorted tour of the world heritage site, Quito Old town!
- Visit the Equator Line Solar Museum!
- Relax in the Volcanic Spring Waters of Papallacta, surrounded by Andean landscapes!
- Or visit the famous Otavalo Market.
- Well if you think you fit into this idea, check some tour information and prices, you might be interested in!
Facilities at the Quito Airport main terminal
Restaurants and Cafes
- Guacamole Grill (Mexican)
- Jonny Rockets (Fast food )
- Amazonia Café (coffee and pastries)
- Fly chicken fly
- Famiglia (pizza)
- Global Exchange (money exchange)
- Bag Parking ( Luggage custody)
- Assist Card ( insurance cards)
- Wi-fi to go (internet service and sim cards)
- Smartphone solutions ( calling booth)
- Cart-port (carts for luggage)
- Fly message ( send a message to your family before your flight)
- Secure wrap (plastic wrap for bags)
- De Volada to Go (grab and go)
- Outback Steakhouse (BBQ)
- Tres Trio (grab and go)
- Happy stop (candy store)
- Flor de Liz (flowers)
- Ecuador Travel stores (souvenir, travel accessories, books)
Pre-boarding National Stores
- Talleres Guayasamin
- Republica del cacao
- Camaron Abordo
- Uomo Venetto
- Bijoux Terner
National and International VIP Lounge
- Comfortable and quiet environment.
- Variety of snacks and drinks.
- Alcoholic beverages (2 per passenger with the registration of their boarding pass).
- Reading material.
- Showers and restroom (only International VIP lounge).
- Business Center (only International VIP lounge).
- Free admission for children up to 4 years of age (one child per adult).
- Wi-Fi Internet service.
- Cable TV.
How to enter the VIP Lounge?
These lounges are open to all passengers.
National VIP Lounge
- Black cards holder from local banks
Normal cost: $ 21 (including taxes) per person.
Middle of the World Lounge (International VIP)
Free access with:
- Black cards from local banks
Normal cost: $ 34 (including taxes) per person.
Airport Free Services
- Information desks
- Free Wi-Fi at all the pre-boarding gates
- Self-check-in machines
- Power points at all pre-boarding gates
- Information Phone
- Children Playground area
Airport Special Service
- preferred parking
- Aero Mexico
- Aero Europa
- American Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Delta Airlines
Facilities at the Quito Airport Center (located right across the Quito Airport Terminal)
- Aeropets (pet crates and accessories)
- Artes Aura ( handcrafts)
- Francel y Vianca (hairdressing)
- Tame airlines
- Banco de Guayaquil
- Banco Pichincha
Mobile phone companies
- Baskin Robbins
- Cajun ( Fusion Food)
- Casa Res (BBQ)
- El Español (sándwiches)
- Juan Valdez (Colombian coffee
- Arrecife (Ecuadorian food)
- Quiport (airport admin offices)
- Republica del Cacao (chocolate shop)
Layover Stay Quito (rest snack and shower lounge)
- Rest seats
- Mobile chargers
- Reclining seats
- News & magazines
- Mobile phone chargers ( upon request)
Hope this content has been helpful, thank you for reading this article and share or pin it if you find it useful.
See you soon in Ecuador!