- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- A guided tour of important places
- Accommodation in single twin share room
- Entrance tickets to monuments and museums
- Meals, unless expressly states
- Personal expenses
- Services not specifically stated in the itinerary
Located right underneath one of Ecuadors active volcano, the Tunguragua. Thanks to its topography and climate many natural attractions are available in town as well as in its surroundings. Baños is the ideal place for a variety of adventure sports as: rafting, bridge jumping, rappel, rock climbing, kayaking, zipline, swings, hanging bridge crossing, mainly all this sports are practiced right outside this small and enchanted town of Banos.
Cupids arrow will hit your heart
The town of Banos, is a small walkable and quiet town, but at the same time it’s always alive. In Baños you will feel a different atmosphere, a sense of tranquility and peace, and at the same time, everyone who visits Baños has one may goal, and its to have a “good time”, no matter how.
There are many options when talking about adventure sports, as well as an inmense variety of types and pricing for lodging, restaurants and bars of all kinds and budgets, will complement your stay in the most complete tourist center of Ecuador.
Just one of many names
Baños is known as the doorway to the Amazon, well its right by the shoulder, on the way down to the Amazon, in fact just 30 minutes away from the first city in the amazon region, but its still high up in the mountains, yes it sounds a bit confising but once you arrive things will make sence! Also Baños is known for its volcanic origin hot springs and its full name is Baños de Agua Santa, This town was named after the “Virgen de Agua Santa”, and Baños comes from the hot springs, well Baño, without an s, also means toilet, but in this context it is a place to take a shower. Anyway the important thing is not the name but the experience and vibe you bring into the town!
Whats is Banos know for?
Baños de Agua Santa, back in the days was traditionally known for three things:
- Its sugar cane candies called “melcochas” which right now you can find other sweets also, you can taste the famous marshmallows and alfeñiques, cane juice and other local goodies.
- Know for its volcanic medicinal waters, that people on their long and tortuous journey to the jungle would make a stop to enjoy the natural hot springs and rest. Hot springs from the bowels of the Tungurahua volcano, with temperatures up to 55 degrees Celsius, to restore your vitality.
- For the miraculous “Virgen de Agua Santa”, or the Holly water Virgin, people are very faithfull to this virgin because many miracles have been attributed to her, and the most important , if not the most important miracle, locals believe that Virgen de Agua Santa is the one that looks after them and protects Banos from being affected by the eruptions of the Tungurahua volcano, throughtout history and although Banos is located right at the foot of Tungurahua Banos has never been affected by this massive volcano and its eruptions.
- Day 1
Quito to Baños
Drive from Quito to Baños along the Panamerican highway where you will learn about the area called the avenue of the volcanoes along the andean mountan range, also on the way depending on the weather we will make stops to take pictures, try the famous fruit popcicle, called helado de Salcedo at the town of Salcedo, and continue south up to the land of the flowers and fruits, Ambato, fron there we will turn towards the east and drive trought several towns with special features.
Once in Baños, visit the waterfall route and where part of the adventure begins,
Bridal veil waterfall
and Pailon del Diablo Waterfall
all this takes place along the Pastaza river with several adventure sports options on the way.
More about Banos
More about Highlands | La Sierra
Baños de Agua Santa, has unique landscapes of jungle like forests, high incline mountains, canyons and ravines, waterfalls and hot springs are part of Banos amazing landscapes. It is one of Ecuador's most fascinating tourist attractions. Where lush green is everywhere you go and look, while enjoying a mild to warm weather all year round.
More about this tour
Baños elevation is more or less at 1800m (5904ft) and its located on the province with the same name as the volcano “Tungurahua” the town of Baños is located right underneath the North Estern side of the Tungurahua volcano and to the East of Ambato, which is the capital city of the Tungurahua province
In Baños indigenous traditions and modern customs of American and foreign visitors are mixed. The tourist city of Baños is located in a valley with waterfalls and hot springs next to the Tungurahua volcano with a height of 5,016 meters.